Our school owes its heritage and traditions to the Sisters of Mercy and the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart.
In 1908 the Sisters of Mercy were asked to establish a church school in South Perth on land purchased by Bishop Gibney. The Sisters of Mercy provided an education to the local children until 1915.
In 1915, the Sisters of St. Joseph of the Sacred Heart took over the running of the ‘church school’. The Sisters of St Joseph had by this time established themselves in a convent in the former residence of the architect, Mr Dennehy, in York Street, South Perth. The ‘church school’ was called Mount St. Joseph’s and had an enrolment of 66 students.
In 1919 two additional wings were added to the original ‘church school’ and, on completion, were used as classrooms. This left the current hall near the Year 6 room as a kindergarten during the week and a Mass centre on Sundays. In those times all of the teachers were Josephite sisters.
In 1936 St. Columba Church was built and in 1938 the name of the school was changed to St. Columba’s School. In January 1948 the foundations of a new school were laid, but the buildings were not completed until 1949 because of the post war shortages of building materials. The new buildings comprised of three classrooms, a rest room for the Sisters and a cloakroom. They were finally opened and blessed by the Archbishop of Perth, the Reverend Prendiville, on Sunday 6th February 1949 and were soon filled to capacity with the students being taught by the Sisters.
The school remained under the administration of the Sisters of St. Joseph for seven decades. The first lay Principal was appointed in 1986.
In 2015 St Columba’s school celebrates a 100-year relationship with the Sisters of St Joseph. This relationship was celebrated on the feast of their patron, St Joseph. We continue to remember and give thanks to God for the dedication of their work in founding our present school and the wonderful legacy that they have left future generations.